Tuesday, March 3, 2009

ARGH and more ARGH

To say that this miscarriage is not going well would be the understatement of the century.

I took Cytotec last Saturday and couldn't manage to pass the necessary amounts of tissue. I took another dose of Cytotec PLUS something else that I don't remember AND got Vicodin this weekend. Still didn't manage to get the job done. I got completely sick yesterday and passed out several times. Jay came home from work and made me go into the ER, which apparently was a good decision. The dr's there hooked me up to an IV (I was severely dehydrated), gave me antibiotics (I managed to get a bladder infection somehow), gave me morphine (I have the worst headache/migraine of my entire life), and did a round of ultrasounds to figure out that I still have a huge amount of tissue left inside. After 7 hours of being at the ER (I would like to say that it was  a hell-ish experience, but the truth is, I was on morphine and it was quite blissful actually!), they sent me home with a load of drugs (including Percoset and more antibiotics) and instructions to see my ob/gyn this morning.
So, in marches the entire Butterfield brigade to the dr this morning. I swear people must just cringe when they see us coming lately. I look like hell- sweatpants, no makeup, glasses; Harry has a fistful of cars/airplanes; Emma in her stroller usually eating something crumbly and messy; and Jay looking like he'd rather be anywhere but there. ;) They did another round of ultrasounds which showed the same thing as last night (Imagine that? Apparently they don't really transfer ultrasounds from the hospital?!), so after the dr attempted to take it out herself (OUCH OUCH OUCH!!), she gave up and scheduled me for surgery on Thurs morning.  Apparently, one round of these Cytotec pills is so effective that over 93% of patients are completely done within 5-7 days. However, our little 1/2 Butterfield 1/2 Prettyman is so stinkin stubborn that he's resisted 2 rounds of the pills and now is making his poor exhausted mommy go through surgery. ARGH.
This is one of those times that I HATE being a military family. How nice it would be to just drop the kids off at Auntie so-and-so's or the grandparents' and have my husband at my side.... I don't want to hear anybody complain about how often they see family for at least 6 months. Capisce? Katie is flying in on Saturday, thank GOD. I don't think I've ever been so happy to know that my little sister is coming. Although, I do believe that Harry is the most excited of everybody and I am leaving it to Kates to tell him that she's not sleeping in his bunk bed with him... ;)


Annali said...

How frustrating...I'm sorry! If it's any consolation, the surgery is a breeze. For me, the actual surgery was the easiest part in light of the emotional aspects of everything.
I'll be thinking of you!

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry that you have to go through all this! I understand the not wanting to be a "military family" thing also. I'm glad your sister will be coming to help out a lil. I'll be thinking of you!